Aromatherapy Play Dough
Normally it would be the cold weather making us spend more time indoors, but as we all go through this global lockdown together, we find ourselves thrown into quite stressful times, where routines are suddenly disrupted and you find yourself having to entertain young children. We are all looking for creative and inventive ways to spend quality time with our children as we try to juggle homeschooling and work, not to mention all being cooped up in the house for such long periods of time.
You can entertain your kids (and yourselves) by turning play time into learning time, getting everybody involved and making aromatherapy play dough!
This activity is a great way for children to learn about aromatherapy and essential oils. Use a variety of oils and colours to help kids learn new scents (you could really get creative and colour code to match the essential oil you have chosen). Some fun essential oils (and blends) could include: Wild Orange, Peppermint, Lemon, Balance, Serenity or Lavender – just to mention a few.
- 2 cups (300g) flour
- 2 cups (480ml) coloured water (food colouring is great for this)
- 1 cup (150g) salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 drops of essential oils (you could look at the colours you’re creating and find an oil to match. Example – yellow – the Cheer blend)
- Combine all ingredients, except for essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until combined.
- Once combined, put over medium heat.
- Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball.
- Note: Don’t overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
- Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, add five drops of your favourite essential oil (ask the children to pick them) and knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for months of endless fun.